When developing websites for our clients, we often hear how writing copy can seem daunting.
The process can be made simple if you focus on a few key points and remember to have fun and let your personality shine through your words!
P.S. Keep in mind we are always here to support in proofing / editing and can offer professional copy writing services if you prefer!
Now on to the goods!
10 things to remember in order to simplify your copy writing experience:
1. We read websites differently than printed materials. We jump around, scan, read headings and bullets and click through pictures and hyperlinks.
2. The longer the paragraphs and sentences, the harder it is to digest.
3. Write copy in a conversational manner – how you would speak, how you would tell a story and how you would describe your business to a friend.
4. Keep paragraphs under 5 lines of text (50 words or so).
5. People are impatient as they scroll and you want to engage the reader with clear, concise points of interest – keep the content casual and not too formal.
6. Stay away from clichés and industry jargon - minimize the fluff! Search engines and your reader will love how concise you are about your business/products/services.
7. Incorporate keywords into your copy – especially on your homepage. If your website is promoting your construction business, talk about the products and services you provide – renovations, new home design, interior cabinets & countertops, marble, quartz, wood, modern or rustic, etc.
8. People love a good, genuine story! Tell the reader why you started this business and why you are passionate about the services and products you provide. Create a connection so the potential customer gets a feel for who you are. They will want to work with you because they feel like minded and can relate to you and your business.
9. Incorporate a few call-to-action sentences throughout your pages. The reader needs to know what to do next. “Fill out the form below for your free estimate”, “Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest design tips and more”, “Call today to receive 10% off all flooring selections”.
10. And lastly – remember who your ideal client and target market is. The website is about them, not you. Write to appeal to that client – you want them to picture themselves in that beautiful, modern home you are going to build for them.
The goal is to humanize the people behind the website, make a connection and be sure it’s relevant and believable!
Copyright © 2023 - All Rights Reserved